I am not a big breakfast eater but I do realize it is an important meal. During the work week I usually have some fresh green juice, a handful of almonds and cranberries. On occasion I’ll grab a bagel and Tofutti. On the week-ends however I like to take it easy, sip on my coffee and enjoy a “real” breakfast. One of my favorite things to make is breakfast tacos. They are healthy, filling and easy to make. I promise you won’t miss the eggs or cheese.
Potatoes or hash-browns
Bell Pepper, any color
Salt & pepper
2 tablespoons of Olive oil
Your favorite salsa *optional*
You can add any veggies that you like, the options are endless. When it is just me eating them I load up the mushrooms!
1. Either wash and cut your potatoes or start baking your hash-browns. The potatoes can be cooked in the over or on the stove top to avoid heating up the house. I use hash-brown patties because they are quick and easy. I do make sure that the only thing they contain are potatoes.
3. While your potatoes are cooking and your pan is heating up you can chop up your veggies. I have to say that I am pretty proud of my chopped veggies! There was a time when they look mangled. The Complete Knife Skills from Craftys changed that! If you want to improve your knife skills this class will do it!
4. Saute your veggies in the Olive oil
5. Chop up your hash-browns and add it to the veggie mix. This is when you can add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Scoop the mixture into a tortilla, and top with your favorite salsa!
Start to finish, including browning the hash-browns these take about 20 minutes to make. If you make a big enough batch you can freeze or refrigerate the leftover, pop it in the microwave and you have a quick and healthy breakfast that a fast food restaurant can’t compete with!
What’s your go-to healthy breakfast?